Friday, September 21, 2007

Interview with Matt Bennett AKA- "mattcrap"



Hey Matt, Thanks for being my next victim. Have you ever been interviewed before?

Nope

Im a huge fan of your particular stylized cartooning, so much so that I regularly print off your work and use it as a reference for my own work. You okay with that?

Yeah, I think that's awesome. I'm flattered that my hamfisted poses could be considered worth replicating. When I think back to all the different guys that I used to do the same thing to, it makes me laugh. Ron Frenz and JRJR could sue me for the number of poses I swiped from them over the years.

I was wondering... do you scan in the line work or is it made digitally. If the latter, what do you use?

I've tried doing some tablet drawing (my wife got me a Wacom Graphire 4x5 for christmas) It's really cool, but it's just not the same. I kinda have spurts where I'll really be into it and then just forget I even have it. My "process" is to take an 8x11 sheet of copy paper (usually the good stuff) fold it in half (for the extra padded support) draw in pen (very rarely doing any pre-penciling) with Staedtler pigment liners and a couple other ghetto pens for black fills. Then scan it, clean it all up and color.

Are you involved in a comic or are you just pumping out the stuff for the hell of it?
I am involved in a comic...AND I'm just pumping out stuff for the hell of it. I'm in cahoots with a great artist named Kirk Wescom [link] who is in the process of penciling and inking our GoldenAge oneshot. I've got an abandoned blog up for our in-the-works book. [link] GoldenAge features my "old guy superhero" Starblast. It's looking to be a 32 page+ oneshot that will hopefully do well enough that I'd be able to do another book (preferrably EveryMajorCity)

I really love the stuff with shield vs. the canuck. Im a Canadian so I laugh my ass off at it. Typical of U.S.A vs. Canada type stuff. How do you feel about any of that?

I love Canada, never been, but it seems cool. One of my favorite bands, Chixdiggit are Canadian. One of my favorite artists and all around cool dudes, Dapper Dan Schoening is Canadian. The theme of USA VS CANADA in those drawings were/are just a spoof.

Aside from the random stuff we see on your deviant gallery, do you have other projects on the go or hoping to do?

Like I said, EveryMajorCity would be my all time top choice of projects. I've got a few "kind of arrangements" with a couple different guys, but nothing concrete. Fellow DA'er mek23 and I are "working" on a Joyblood oneshot. I haven't sent him any new script pages in a LONG time. Another deviant that I actually met over at the drawingboard, Danny McDaid, is insanely high on my list of guys that I'm begging to draw with me. There's alot of "depending on" scenarios out there too. I really want to come up with something worthy of having Ryan Dunlavey draw it for me. I tried a while back (and will continue to try) when it's fiscally possible to get something together with Scott Wegener too.

Do you have other sites available to all of your fans?

I used have a crapload, there's only a few now. My half-hearted official website that I haven't updated in over a year AT LEAST. [link] There's the GoldenAge blog that I mentioned earlier and I'm sure there's a couple more that have very VERY old crap on them. I've gotta comicspace page with nothing on it. I'll really invade all the bandwidth out there once I have something tangible to offer the masses.

I want to keep this short and suh-weet so is there anything you want to say to anybody out there?

It's called Ketchup, not Catsup....and the only brand worth using is Heintz 57!

Well Matt, thanks again for being my very first "celebrity" to be posted on my blog and hopefully not the last. Best of luck with everything in the future and maybe one day, if willing, I would love to work on a project together. Who knows... more Canada vs. U.S.A. (just hope your shield guy doesnt run up against my guy, Angelos!)

Thanks Scott

Scott out.

You can visit Matt's deviant gallery at
http://mattcrap.deviantart.com/
or his own website at
http://www.epicallyuninventive.iwarp.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment