Thursday, September 20, 2007

Interview with Daniel Harris AKA Hyptosis.


Hey there Hyp, First of all... Hyptosis. What is the origin of your web name and what is your real name if you dont mind my asking?

My real name is Daniel Harris. In my life I’ve met many other Daniel Harris’. A girl I was in second grade with is now married to a Daniel Harris. I get phone calls for Daniel Harris and creditors searching for Daniel Harris, and lots of other stuff for other Daniel Harris’ all the time. =] I might as well have the name ‘male human.’
As for ‘Hyptosis’ I used to play a lot of muds. Old text role playing games for anyone who doesn’t know. I had a character who was trapped in a well… yeah I know. My rope broke or something. No one was around to help me. So I logged off, made a new character, random letters formed Hyptosis, and lowered the rope with him. Everyone seemed to like him better and it stuck. Wish I’d had a cooler handle now. But as far as I know, I’m the only Hyptosis on the net.


We met some time ago on a certain site called Outcast Studio's. It's been awhile and I have seen a lot of production out of you. Your a machine. How do you do it?

Well, you’ve got to get over the mental hurdle I think. I usually don’t feel like drawing or painting to be honest. But you have to realize, it needs to get done. Putting it off makes you look bad to those waiting, it also doesn’t get you paid any faster. It’s like anything. If you need to loose weight, you change your life, you don’t go on a diet, you change your diet. Forever. So with art, you draw whether you feel like it or not, it isn’t really an option. Quality comes with quantity, I believe that with art. Study, produce, study produce.

Your latest stint called "The Realms of Aegis" seems to be at the forefront of your efforts these days. Being a comic writer/artist now too... I cant help but wonder... do you have a set storyline in your mind or is it from the hyp (pun intended) like my own stuff?

Well, I have the story on index cards. No dialogue, just what happens. This person betrays this person. This guy falls into lava. Etc. I write the dialogue at the last minute. I don’t suggest this, but this is just how I tend to work. I’m an avid roleplayer, or used to be, not much time for it these days, but I’ve got a lot of experience making stuff up on the fly and staying in character.

You have recently began to team up with someone over at Drunk Duck .com. What can you tell us about that?
I’m guessing you mean Silentkitty? She’s a blast and a nice person, and also a great artist. She very inspiring and there might be more work form us in the future, I don’t know. You can never tell. >_>

On a personal note... your health. Its semi-public knowledge that you have some issues that can at times... keep you away from us all. How are you doing these days?
Yes, I was having some trouble with my heart, but for the time being I think it is controlled. There are future problems I’ll have to deal with, but there is little that can be done, so I’m just trying to not think about it, and get as much work done before than as I possibly can. I work out roughly an hour 5 times a week, I’m hoping to gain some time for myself by doing this.

What are your future plans/goals for personal reward in this crazy business of comic making?

Unfortunately I know better than to have expectations in the business. There is too much talent, and it’s only expanding more in my opinion. Amazing artists are getting younger and younger and I’m just going to say I’m doing I for fun. It is true I work on comics professionally as well as a colorist, but it isn’t going to make me rich. I’ll just keep doing it while I can, and try to have a good time while doing so. TroA is a labor of love and that is all. ^_^ My only goal for TroA was by the end, my art is visibly superior to the early pages.

You have a web site that features much about you, what is the name and link and what other places can we go to in order to peruse more of your artistic genius?

Haha, surely you jest calling any of it artistic genius. =P At http://www.lorestrome.com you can find pretty much anything I’ve ever done that is worth seeing. I’ve got a few closet projects right now I’ll be happy to announce in the future, but they’re in such early stages now I’ll just be happy if they even have a future.

I have seen a video on You Tube that you made about using your computer to make artwork and it seems to be getting a bit famous. I have actually seen it linked from random art gallery web sites. Can you tell us about that video?

Which one is it, the latest cityscape one seems to be getting the most hits and comments from what I’ve seen. I plan on releasing some tutorials on cityscapes when I get a chance, I don’t know if I’ll put them on drunkduck or youtube or what yet. But they’ll be out there sometime in the future.

Well, Hyp... I like to keep the interviews short and suh-weet... Is there anything you would like to say in closing to someone or everyone out there in web land?

I don’t think so, I’d say something along the lines of stick with it, etc, but honestly you’re going to either stick with it or not, regardless of what I say. Don’t let people get you down, and realize the only person who can stop you or make you move forward is you. If you want to know how to build a house, then just build a house.

Thanks so much my friend...

You bet, thank you mate.

Scott out


Oh yes, one last thing... I couldn't do it without Finwik. She edits and helps me write TRoA and generally does a good job of keeping me from sounding daft. She's also a valuable source of inspiration and I just couldn't do it without her.

You can visit Hyptosis at http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Realms_of_Aegis/index.php?p=89324

Or his site at
http://www.lorestrome.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment