Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Interview with Amy Hankins of Antcomics



Amy, I discovered you over at Drunkduck.com and you have a web comic called Antcomics. It basically is funny shit featuring the greatest british rocker from the '80's... Adam Ant. Just what in blazes prompted you to do a fan comic about him? Not that I'm complaining.

When I was a kid, I started on this kick where I drew caricatures of my favorite rock stars. Sometimes I’d write stories about them, make comics, whatever. I’d make up little adventures for them (the Beatles were the first one I did. I still have that someplace!). When I became fascinated with Adam Ant, of course he became a cartoon character. My style was very different back then (I was in 4th grade), so he looked quite a bit different. I wish I had one of those drawings someplace, but I can’t find one. Anyhow—I wanted to do a comic strip about him way back then, but never got around to it. You know how a nine year old’s interests change rapidly too, of course—this sort of faded into another interest. I still liked Adam Ant, but didn’t draw him much.

A few years back, I was at the library and noticed they had a “Best of Adam & the Ants” CD. I checked it out and listened to it. I hadn’t heard him in years. The interest in him was rekindled. I then bought some DVDs of his concert performances and videos…I remembered how much fun it was to watch the Ants live and in their videos. I started doodling in a meeting one day at work, and with Ants on the brain, doodled a cartoon of Adam. Soon after, I tried my hand at the other Ants. Then finally, came a comic idea (The Metamorphosis, where Adam transforms into an actual ant).

I had recently stumbled upon a short film called Antmuzak*, where Adam and the Ants go to the grocery store to shop. I was roaring. I watched it about three times in a row, and kept wishing there were more episodes. Suddenly, I was thinking of all kinds of scenerios the Ants could be in…then I thought: “Wait! I can make that happen!” I did, through Antcomics. I sent a couple to the moderator at Adam-Ant.net (the official Adam Ant news site), and he put a link up on their message board, “AntRap.” The crowd went wild, and demanded more! I was hooked, and now had a captive audience.

*Link to Antmuzak: http://www.beam.tv/beamreels/beamreel.php?reel=WGsMngHJjK&order=&page=2
(This tells a bit about the guy who created it).

How long have you been a fan of Adam Ant?

Since 1982. I didn’t even know about him until his song, “Goody Two Shoes” was released in the U.S. I caught an Adam & The Ants concert on A&E, too. That was what really got me hooked.

How long have you been drawing comics?

I’ve been drawing since I learned how to use a pencil. As for comics, I’d say I was around six when I started trying cartooning. I tried my hand at a few comic strips.
How do you feel that the past 2 questions may have "dated" your age?

Not bad at all! I’m only 34! (Funny, back in 1982 I could have considered that old).

Im trying to get a bead on how you make your comics... it appears to be only pencils and then markers. Is this right? I really like it.

That’s pretty much it. I pencil them, then ink them with black pigma pens/Sharpies. Then I use a combination of markers and colored pencils to get the desired effects.
Tell me about any future projects you may have on the go.

More Antcomics, of course! Actually, I do other types of art too, particularly sculpture. I work with polymer clay a lot, and I am working on a series of prehistoric animals, actually. I have a whole list I plan to do. I will probably do the Ants in clay one day too, but that will be very time consuming…
Most of my best work is posted at my Deviant Art page (link = http//www.deviantart.com/hankinstein). There you can see the polymer clay critters and other various goodies, if you’re interested.

If you were able to work with any one artist in the world, living or dead... who would it be and of course... why?

That’s a toughie, but I think either Donna Barr or Mark Crilley. They both have styles that have really influenced me, plus their art is like no one else’s. I am sure they could really give me some good pointers. Mr. Crilley is particularly good at backgrounds, and large, panoramic scenes…I really envy that ability. A lot of comics lack backgrounds, or at least have minimal ones. His comics oftentimes will have whole two page spreads of some giant castle or landscape. Awesome stuff.

Are you musically inclined? I ask this due to the whole Adam Ant infatuation thing.

A bit, I play about eight guitar chords (enough for rock n’ roll, right?) and the drums. My boyfriend and I have a garage band, and he’s one helluva guitar player. He even has a ‘studio’ and a Tascam recorder, so we record our music occasionally. It’s all strictly for fun, but we’re getting pretty good.

I love music, I grew up listening to the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Steppenwolf. Stuff like that. My mom raised me on some good music. My Dad taught me the guitar (also a great guitarist), so we were pretty musical. I played snare drum in 5th grade band. I never got the note-reading thing down though…but with percussion, I got out of that part! (snicker).

Are you infatuated?

With Adam Ant? I suppose so. I just think he’s got amazing energy, and his music (particularly in the Ants era) is amazing. There is a line in one song that goes “you might not like it now but you will”, referring to ‘Antmusic’. It’s true, I think. I think someone could hear his stuff and not be particularly fond of it at first, but listen a few more times and get totally hooked. There is just something about it. It’s definitely unique. There never was anything like it, and I don’t think there ever will be.

There doesnt seem to be many female comic artists out there... does this bother you and what have you got to say to your fellow estrogen packing sista's?

Nah, it never bugged me. Actually, I thought it might be an advantage, because I read somewhere once that female cartoonists were sought after. I’m not so sure; I know several that have been rejected by syndicates, etc…of course, I never had the guts to submit anything. I just don’t know if I could think of a funny gag every single day and keep the comic fresh and truly funny. I know, I’m a chicken. But keeping it fun, for me, means just doing it when I am inspired and it isn’t forced, you know?

As for the sistahs…those of you that submit stuff, keep trying. I read that Lynn Johnston (For Better or for Worse) was rejected countless times before she finally got her comic accepted…and look at her now! Still going. I say ‘kudos’ to the women who are trying, and we definitely do need more female cartoonists. I’d love to see a comic by a female artist that didn’t have to do with eating disorders, depression, menopause, motherhood, or other things commonly associated with women. Not that those things are bad as material, necessarily; but it seems like most of the comics in the papers, by females, always have to do with that stuff.

Uh... Im not sure what else to ask you now... lol. How about this... do you have someone or many someones you would like to shout out to and any last pearls of wisdom for up and coming cartoonists?

Well…hmm…’pearls of wisdom,’ you say? Since I’m virtually a nobody, am I allowed to do that? :o)
Seriously, keep practicing. Study other cartoonists. If you’re a kid, and you’ve started already, then good for you, I really think kids have an edge. By the time they’re adults, they will probably have developed their own unique style without even realizing it (that’s what I did. I have been whittling away at my style since about age six).

Study your heroes. As a kid, I drew Garfield, Scooby Doo, and countless other characters. Copying others’ work really gives you a feel for how they draw, and gives you great practice (don’t infringe on any copyrights, though kids—I’m not telling you to do that). In Art History class, we learned that many of the great painters and sculptors copied at first. Nothing wrong with that. It certainly helped me. You can then make up your own characters, and implement different aspects of your favorite cartoonists’ styles in your work.

A lot of people compliment me on my ‘action scenes’ and facial expressions, for example. I studied Calvin and Hobbes a lot, which really helped me nail those down. If you asked me what cartoonist can draw the best facial expressions, I would say Bill Watterson, hands down.

I also had a book called How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. Now I obviously don’t draw the ‘Marvel Way’, but that book helped me immensely with perspective and action scenes. Even if you’re not into the superhero style, this book is helpful. It taught me things like drawing the stick figure first, to get the pose you want…stuff like that.

Another thing that helped me refine my style—believe it or not—my life drawing class in college. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Cartoon characters aren’t anatomically correct. But having that knowledge of drawing realistically is definitely a help, no matter what. I highly recommend art training—whatever you can get. You may already be good, but this really helps you refine those skills.

Okay, I am rambling…

Now for the shout outs!…

My parents—back in the stone age, before computers (ha!) my Mom, a stay at home mom, often entertained me by drawing pictures for me. My Dad, too. They would sit down and color, make story books with me, etc. I think they are the ones who really jump started the art thing with me. I think it’s genetic, too. I have a lot of excellent artists in my family—my great aunt, for one. She is a brilliant oil painter.

I really owe a lot to several art teachers in school—most of them were very encouraging, yet could give me the constructive criticism I needed. They pushed me to further develop my style and taught me a lot of things that really stuck with me.

I have to give a shout out to my fellow DrunkDuckers, of course—can’t forget them (you included, Scott!). I have several faithful readers who are a lot of my reason for keeping this thing going. Their comments boost me along, and are highly appreciated. I plan to do fan art for each and every one of them one day—I’ve done two so far, so this’ll take awhile! Anyhow, you guys know who you are, and I can’t thank you enough. You guys’ work is all excellent as well, and very inspiring! (gush, gush…) :o) You really ought to go read their comics. Just see my “Comics recommended by” section on my DD page.

My fellow Deviant Art artists: Another reason to keep going! They were actually the first to see an Antcomic.

The folks at Adam-Ant.net, and the AntRap message board there. Another reason to keep me going. They are so supportive, and of course they are some of my biggest fans. Actually they are the reason that Antcomics became an ongoing series. I had done a couple and showed them to them, and as I mentioned, they went wild over it. It was major motivation!

Carty, at Cartrouble gets a special shoutout because he too is a big supporter. He posts my cartoon updates on his Carty News Now page (also Adam Ant related). Carty is the one and only person on the planet that owns an original Antcomic, too (well besides me). His girlfriend commissioned me do one for his birthday. Lucky him! ;op

I hope I got everyone in there…

Well Amy, thanks very much and best wishes in your future endeavors. I know I'll be popping by your site often. Scott out

Here's some pics of Amy:

1 comment: